Volunteers completed over 4,000 hours of service during the 2018-19 academic year!
Volunteer at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
Volunteers are one of the most valuable resources we have at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School. Volunteers give their time, energy and talents to provide support to our students, families and staff and therefore, are essential to making our mission a reality. Cristo Rey Jesuit seeks to attract, develop and retain volunteers who are committed to model the School’s Catholic and Jesuit values, including:
- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (all for the greater glory of God)
- cura personalis (care for the whole person)
- a preferential option for the poor and marginalized
- the Magis, i.e., seeking the greater service of God and neighbor; and forming men and women to become agents for justice and change
Cristo Rey strives to build mutually beneficial relationships between volunteers, students, staff and families. The Coordinator of Volunteers works directly with volunteers to assure that they have a positive and meaningful experience.
All volunteers must attend a VIRTUS training, which includes a background check, prior to direct contact with students. In addition, all volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation that gives people a chance to meet other volunteers, review the handbook and develop some skills helpful for the volunteer experience. At the end of the orientation, volunteers sign the agreement form included in the handbook.
People volunteer at Cristo Rey in a variety of ways:
- Ongoing volunteers who are regularly scheduled to tutor or support a program.
- Support College Counseling, Admissions Office, Finance Department and the Corporate Work Study Program
- Tutor students in algebra, pre-calculus, Spanish, English, sciences during the school day
- Special event volunteers who participate in an occasional school day, evening, or weekend happening
- College Counseling events
- FAFSA nights (early fall)
- Accompany students on college visits
- Assist with the 100 day senior lunch
- Parent/Guardian Liaison events
- Accompany the group for service events
- Work at the concession stands during sporting events
- Provide child care during meetings
- Family Nights
- Tutor senior students on designated Saturday mornings in pre-calculus, reading and writing, biology, government and economics
- Teacher Recognition in December (Admissions Office)
- New Student Orientations (Admissions Office)
- Recruiting events
- Mexican Independence Day (September)
- Juneteenth (June)
- National Night Out (August)
- Open House (every second Tuesday of the month Oct.– Feb. 6pm English and 7 pm Spanish)
- Various community outreach events in the summer
- Interpret (Spanish and Somali) at parent/guardian, teacher, student conferences
- Chaperone students for a service experience
- Child Care during meetings, conferences and other events
- Assist with the Unity and Diversity Day
- Coaching a seasonal sport
- Support the Robotics team (three – four month commitment)
Become a Volunteer
To get started, please complete the information and download the form below.
We will contact you to follow up and arrange a time for you to come to school for a Volunteer Orientation and to turn in the forms. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact Sr. Mary Willette
or call her at 612-545-9797.