When students go to work and school, they enter professional environments. Their dress reflects a high standard of professionalism. Work and School environments are also adult environments. Our dress code corresponds to business professional dress both in the workplace site and school site. It ensures that every student will dress in a professional, modest, conservative, and safe manner.
WE WANT TO PRESENT A CONSISTENT IMAGE TO THE PUBLIC TO ENSURE THAT STUDENTS ARE JUDGED BY THE CHARACTER AND WORK ETHIC THEY DEMONSTRATE.
It has been observed repeatedly that the more professional a person dresses, the more seriously that person performs in her/his role and the more seriously others perceive her/him. Expressing individuality should be done through hard work at school and at the work place, and not through one’s clothing and external image.
DURING SCHOOL AND WORK STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR:
- A school uniform long sleeved, button down collar school shirt (young men) or blouse (young women) that are available for purchase at school. Young men are required to have the shirt tucked in at all times and buttoned at the collar and down the front. Young women may wear their blouse out and only the very top button may be left unfastened. Sleeves may be neatly folded up if desired. Uniforms may be purchased M-F from 7:30-8:00AM or 3:30-4:15pm in school store, or at other times by appointment.
- Garments worn under uniform must remain invisible and should be white or black.
- Black professional dress pants: The pants must be full-length with interior pockets and the material must be a polyblend (no cotton/no denim/no twill). Pants must have a crease. Stretchy or form fitting pants are unprofessional and not permitted.
- Black belt with modest buckle. If young women choose to wear a belt it must be a black belt worn through the belt loops and have a modest buckle.
- Black professional looking shoes during school and work. No slippers, tennis shoes, moccasins or boots may be worn. The toe of the shoe must be closed and the heel must be covered.
- Black socks. Young women may choose to wear brown or black nylons (no “footies”).
- A professional tie. (young men)
- Young men are to be clean shaven, free from beards, mustaches, goatees, and sideburns below the ear lobe. Students not compliant will be asked to shave at school.
- Eyebrows are to be free from markings.
- Conservative hair styles and appearance appropriate for the corporate workplace will be allowed. Hair should not be cut shorter than below the #1 guard on hair clippers. Hair should not cover students’ eyes or be shaggy in appearance. Students are not permitted to wear mohawks or other unconventional styles or shave or cut lines, designs, letters, numbers, etc., into their hair. Feathers are not permitted.
- Natural hair colors.
- Tattoos are discouraged, but students with tattoos are required to keep them covered at all times including during Physical Education and extra-curricular activities.
THOUGH NOT REQUIRED, STUDENTS MAY CHOOSE TO WEAR:
- School ID badge. School lanyards are available for purchase. The student may provide her or his own retractable lanyard that is worn on the belt. Students who lose, break or alter the appearance of the ID may be required to replace it at a cost of $3.
- If a sweater is worn it must be a school sweater. Jackets, coats, blankets, etc., may not be worn in school or carried from class to class. These items must be stored in student lockers. Sweaters for young men or women are available for purchase in school office from 7:30AM-8:00AM, or at other times by appointment.
- A black professional suit coat. (young men or women)
- A black vest that is part of a suit (young men only)
- Black suspenders instead of a belt (young men only)
- A modest pair of earrings no larger than the size of a quarter, no more than two per ear. (young women only) Dangling earrings must be able to be curled up to the size of a quarter or smaller. Other body piercings are not allowed. Covering piercings with band-aids is not permitted. Students will not attend school until the piercings are removed. (young men or women)
- Necklaces may be worn inside the uniform shirt. Chain wallets are not permitted. (young men and women)
- Modest and minimal bracelets may be worn (young men and women), but may not contain messages.
- One or two modest rings. (young men and women). Connected rings are not permitted.
- A hair band. (young men and women)
- A hijab for religious purposes. (young women only)
- Modest style makeup and nail polish. (young women only)
- Non-uniform clothing during special Spirit Week events or during fund raisers. Special dress code themes and rules will be shared. Students whose clothes don’t fit the dress code may be required to wear a school uniform. The school reserves the right to determine what constitutes appropriate dress. In all cases, the school has the final decision. Workers must always wear the school uniform.
DURING EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION, YOUNG WOMEN AND MEN ARE REQUIRED TO:
- Display appropriate colors and messages.
- Wear shirts with sleeves and that cover the chest/cleavage, stomach, tattoos and undergarments.
- Wear shorts or pants that cover the mid-thigh (no skirts) and undergarments.
- Anything specified by the Activity Leader (Coach/Director).